Chickpeas and Chorizo Recipe
Garbanzos con Chorizo
This Chickpeas and Chorizo dish can be eaten hot or at room temperature – we prefer to eat it hot. Also it can be served as a tapa, a starter or even a main course.
Chickpeas and Chorizo Ingredients
Serves 4 – 6
This recipe is a good tapa for 6 people, a starter for 4 people and a main course for 2 or 3 people.
- 250g/9oz of chorizo sausage
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic clove crushed
- 400g/14oz can or jar of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 pimiento del piquillo patted dry and sliced (red peppers in a jar or can)
- 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar – I generally use white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat then add the onion and garlic. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the onion is soft stirring occasionally and making sure that the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the chorizo and cook for 5-10 minutes until it is heated through.
Depending on whether you want to eat this dish hot or at room temperature follow one of the following two methods. I prefer it hot.
For room temperature pour the onion and chorizo mixture into a bowl and stir in the chickpeas and the red peppers. Pour in the wine vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
For hot mix the chickpeas and red peppers into the frying pan and leave it on the heat till everything is heated through. Then pour in the wine vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with some crusty bread.