Baked Basque Fish Recipe
Pescado Asado a la Vasca
The Basque country in the north of Spain offers food which is very different to that from other areas of the country. They cook a lot of fresh fish and use lots of fresh vegetables in their cuisine. This recipes combines both sets of ingredients and results in a simple dish which has a wonderful flavour and is healthy into the bargain.
Baked Fish Ingredients
- 4 x 175g (6oz) of white fish fillets – you could use cod, haddock or any other white fish
- some olive oil
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 large tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 table spoons of dry white wine
- juice of ½ a lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
You also need four pieces of foil, 30cm by 30 cm (12 inches square)
Put the parcels on to a baking tray and cook them in a preheated oven, 190C/375F or gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes. You could check one parcel after 20 or 25 minutes. You will know the fish is cooked when the flesh is opaque and flakes easily.
Serve with boiled potatoes and the vegetables of your choice.