Chicken and Potato Stew Recipe
Guiso de Pollo y Patatas
Spanish people love their stews especially in the winter months. Ingredients vary but this chicken and potato stew recipe is tasty and easy to cook.
Chicken and Potato Stew Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 chicken pieces (thighs and/or drumsticks)
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 140g chorizo – diced quite small
- 100ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 100ml chicken stock – freshly prepared or from a stock cube
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 700g peeled potatoes – chopped into chunks
- 70g-90g pitted black olives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add the onion to the pan and fry on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until getting soft then add the garlic and fry for another minute stirring occasionally to make sure none of it burns.
Add the chorizo and cook for a a further 4 or 5 minutes stirring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the pan. If necessary you may have to reduce the heat a little.
Then add the wine and bring to the boil then simmer gently for a few minutes to let it reduce a little. Once it has reduced add the tomatoes, stock and sugar and stir well. Bring it all to the boil then put the chicken back in and make sure it is covered by the sauce. Simmer for about 20 minutes and then taste and season with salt and pepper.
Add the potatoes and olives and bring back to the boil if necessary. Simmer for between 35 and 55 minutes depending on the size of your chunks of potatoes. Half way through taste and add more salt if required. Make sure the potatoes are cooked through and then serve with crusty bread.